kids and butterflies and books

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Sat Jun 2 09:10:32 EDT 2001

Dear CBA friends,
    Since we are all inundated with views and news of the Red Admiral in our
area I thought you might enjoy this article sent me by one of my internet
butterfly friends in Wisconsin.
    As a retired teacher and "itinerant butterfly lady" I have been doing
butterfly slide presentations in local schools as well as planting in
schoolyard butterfly habitats for the last 2-3 weeks. It is remarkable how
many children have noticed the Red Admiral,brought me live specimens in jars,
now recognize this butterfly and have ranked it among the Monarch and Painted
Lady as their "favorite butterfly". Last year we gave it a token notice. I
have found some wonderful new children's books one called "Butterfly Story"
by Anca Hariton and it is all about the Red Admiral !(primary)
Others are:
    "Are You a Butterfly?" by Judy Allen - the yellow
swallowtail(preschool-kdgn)
    "Waiting for Wings" by Lois Ehlert - Yellow Swallowtail,Monarch, Painted
Lady and Buckeye( kdgn - even adults)
but so exciting is the new series Peterson field guide for young
naturalists,one on butterflies and one on caterpillars!!!!!
    "The Family Butterfly Book " by Rick Mikula - a must for young families
and educators.
    I found them all at Barnes and Noble
    Just Fluttering by, Ruthie Mohr
<< Butterflies are everywhere!
By JO SANDIN
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: May 31, 2001
Flirting amid the flowers, nestling in the nettles, red admirals and painted
ladies have the world of lepidopterists aflutter this spring as the
butterflies have migrated north in numbers three to four times larger than
normal.

"They started showing up in mid-April," said Les Ferge, a Madison-area
lepidopterist. "The sheer numbers are amazing."

Both species of rush-footed butterflies migrate, so it is not unusual to find
red admirals and painted ladies in Wisconsin. But the numbers, for the first
time in many years, are astounding.

Ferge noticed the butterflies, along with a third species, American ladies,
on the first dandelions of spring. As flowers emerged on his maple tree, the
butterflies were drawn to the nectar there. Adults, he said, feed on whatever
flowers are around.

[Unable to display image]
Painted Lady

[Unable to display image]