Mourning Cloak larva

robert rrmuller at Snet.Net
Wed Jun 6 15:42:42 EDT 2001

Yesterday in my yard I removed 68 Mourning cloak larva from my hackberry trees & placed them in a screen covered fish tank with plenty of cuttings of hackberry.

There now protected from my local bird population & yellow jackets.

Once adults begin to emerge later in the year it will look like an invasion of the species, I'm certain my newest Grand daughter will love it as would any child interested in the bugs,
check out the food plants this week & you are sure to find adult larva, protect them as they continue there cycle, release them as adult butterflies & enjoy the sight along with the young generation.

One added note unrelated to butterflies, my 3 year old grand daughter was over the other day when I caught a good 24 inch Garter snake in the yard nice heavy female, she seen me holding it & asked if she could I explained it could bite but she said its ok, I cautioned her not to squeeze it, all would be ok, she played with the snake for over an hour in the yard & got very upset when I told her it had to go back in the bushes.
Bring the kids up to understand & enjoy all that is around them be it Butterflies, Moths or Snakes they will be the future generation to preserve that which we all love .

Bob Muller