No subject

Hank and Gerie Golet gzgolet at attglobal.net
Sat Sep 14 20:25:17 EDT 2002

Frpm Hank Golet, 9/15. Old Lyme...Ted Hendrickson and I saw 1 CLOUDLESS SULFUR this morning near White Sand Beach.  At Old Lyme Landscape, where there is a small cut flower garden, there was a SACHEM SKIPPER and a LEONARD'S SKIPPER....... Late yesterday afternoon I found an OCOLA SKIPPER nectaring on buddleia here at my house in Old Lyme.  I have never seen this species before but there is no doubt in my mind that this is what it was.  It had the bullet shape with the forewing extending far beyond the hind wing and with the wings partially open at times, the two small white spots near the edge of the wing (these actually looked like one spot to me), the second small white spot below it and a large white spot in toward the head were visable.  I did not notice that the large white spot was arrow shaped at the time. I chose to get my camera rather than the net but I was not able to get a picture.  The butterfly stayed around on the buddleia bush (this is a large bush) for 5 to 10 minutes and I kept moving a step ladder around and although I had plenty of time to look at it I could not get in position for a picture before it would move.  I thought perhaps I would get an opportunity for a picture today but I did not see the Ocola during the many times I looked.