From Newington: my first catocala

Roy Zartarian rzartarian at snet.net
Sat Aug 16 22:45:13 EDT 2003

Discovered this morning (8/16) on the inside of one of the breezeway
doors as I was staggering out to get the paper was an Ultronia
Underwing.  While it is, according to the authorities, common, it was a
"life" for me with an attendant reaction not unlike that following
one's first kiss or first cigarette.  Also about were two
Dark-spotted Palthis, John Himmelman's Hulking Schnozzolas.

The day's perambulations both with and without dog provided sightings
of:
Common Wood Nymph
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Black Swallowtail
Peck's Skipper
Crossline Skipper
Silver-spotted Skipper (first local of year tho common enough during my
Vermont stay)

Roy