Lighthouse Point St. Park, New Haven

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Sep 10 15:19:31 EDT 2005

On Saturday, 9/10- I visited Lighthouse Point Park where I found the
following species of butterflies:

Black Swallowtail (2) (1 male, 1 female)
Cabbage White (3)
Clouded Sulphur (10)
Orange Sulphur (4)
Cloudless Sulphur (2+) (I saw this species a total of 6  times during the
morning, although it was impossible to know the exact  number of individuals
involved.  One female nectared on the red Salvia  in the butterfly
garden...providing a fine photo op if only I had a  camera.)
Gray Hairstreak (2)
Eastern Tailed Blue (8)
Variegated Fritillary (2) (One male, one female.  The  male was far more
interested the female than the female in the  male.)
American Lady (1)
Painted Lady (8)
Monarch (20+) (Monarchs were steadily migrating through the park in small
numbers throughout the morning.)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (4)

Hopefully these butterflies as well as some additional species will still  be
around next Saturday (9/17) for the Hawk Festival being held at the  park.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford