Hiding from the rain

LevineKA at aol.com LevineKA at aol.com
Sun Aug 27 22:24:18 EDT 2006

On 8/26, Wooded edge of large meadow, Winchester, CT.:
2 Common Wood Nymphs

A partial search of the meadow milkweed turned up one Monarch  caterpillar.
There was evidence a larger one had been eating on a nearby  plant.

Several plants had the appearance of damage from freshly  hatched Monarch
caterpillars.  I turned over dozens of promising  leaves and never found any
young caterpillars. Most of these  plants also housed a small black spider. The
spider hid in silk-woven leaves, gathered together atop to form a  hidden
tunnel. The curled leaves were built in a manner similiar  to the Spicebush
Swallowtail's caterpillar.

Ny sister-in-law, in Glastonbury, saw a spider prey on one of  her newly
hatched Monarch eggs.

I have seen preying mantids eat adult Monarchs without ill  effect.  This is
the first predator of Monarch larvae I have seen or  heard of.

Keith Levine