Hammonasset Monarchs

Linda & Jeff Ives skytuc at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 17 20:03:08 EDT 2007

My daughter and I tagged about 40 Monarchs at Meig's Point Butterfly Garden this afternoon in about one and a half hours.  There is a new patch of tall, yellow flowers by the marsh below the garden which consistently had many Monarchs nectaring there. Unfortunately, it was impossible to reach most of them, but we netted a couple there.
Also saw a couple clearwing moths and a painted lady who was in the pines and chased away any Monarch that came near looking to roost.
Found one faded, tattered Monarch with tag #JBA840.  Maybe a leftover from the weekend tagging?

Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day!  But geez, those mosquitos!  Because we are handling the butterflies, I don't wear any repellent, and I was so glad we had long shirts and pants.  Do any others find the Hammo mosquitos to be particularly painful and aggressive?
There are plenty of Monarchs moving through and we could have tagged more if we had the time.
~Linda in Marlborough