monarch cats

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Wed Aug 20 23:53:44 EDT 2008

It's funny you should write about the number of monarch cats being seen in
the wild.

All week I've been finding huge, nearly pupal stage monarch cats on my
tropical milkweed.

I never remember finding large caterpillars outside before like this.

Perhaps the predators that usually limit them are having a hard time of it
right now.

Also, I'm seeing a huge number of monarch eggs being layed. In my yard and on
my excursions elsewhere.

And yesterday, I had two mating pairs of monarchs in my yard. Also a male
zoomed in  on a female trying to oviposit and knocked her down and attempted to
mate. She wanted none of it so I separated the pair and she took off...with him
in hot persuit.

Maryann