Giant Swallowtail, Canaan

PJDEGENNARO at aol.com PJDEGENNARO at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 19:48:40 EDT 2010

7/18/10 - Robbins Swamp WMA, Canaan - the best butterfly of the day was a
Giant Swallowtail out in the swamp taking nectar from bee balm. It provided
distant but good views, as seen from the dirt road, until a Black
Swallowtail  (nearly half the Giant's size) chased it away. I wasn't able to relocate
 it, but I got one digibinned, blurred pic of it if anyone wants to  see
it. The Giant was in very good condition, looks like it might have  emerged
near the Swamp. There is Prickly Ash in the area.
List of butterflies:

Black Swallowtail 10
GIANT SWALLOWTAIL 1
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 5  also had a small swallowtail with  some field
marks of both Canadian and Eastern
Spicebush Swallowtail 1
Cabbage White 1
Clouded Sulphur 1
Summer Azure 2
Pearl Crescent 100
Eastern Comma 5
Red Admiral 4
Red-spotted Purple 1
Viceroy 2
Eyed Brown 2
Monarch 3

Also a Banded Hairstreak in my yard when I got home.

Peter DeGennaro
Naugatuck