CT Butterfly Association August Field Trips

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Sun Jul 25 18:33:34 EDT 2010

Sunday Aug 1, 2010, 10 AM
Hill-Stead Museum, Farmington
Leaders: Diane Tucker and Roy Zartarian
860-667-9571 /  rzartarian at snet.net

This is an annual event at Hill-Stead, which offers a rich habitat in central
Connecticut for a variety of butterfly species. Completed in 1901, Hill-Stead is
a 152-acre, 10-building museum and a National Historic Landmark. See the special
areas at Hill-Stead where Monarch butterflies live and breed. $3 members, $5
members-to-be.

Directions:Take Exit 39, I-84 East or West. Follow Route 4 West. Turn left onto
Route 10 South. At first traffic light, turn left onto Mountain Road. Museum
entrance is 1/4 mile up the hill on the left.

Saturday Aug 7, 2010, 10 AM
Bauer Park, Madison
Leaders: Diane Adams 860-526-1993 / ButterflyPR at comcast.net, Gary Lemmon
203-488-7813 / lemmon at snet.net

Bauer Farm was established by the Bauer family 100 years ago. In 1990, the
64.5-acre property was donated to the town of Madison. It includes ponds,
meadows, woodlands, and rock outcroppings, as well as a nature center offering
educational programs, community gardens, and trails.

Directions:from I-95, exit 61, head north approximately .1 mile on Route 79.
Take a left onto Hunter’s Trail. Proceed to the end (less than one mile) and
turn right onto Copse Road. The center, with parking, is immediately on the
left. Meet in the parking area.

Saturday August 21, 2010, 10 AM
Jared Elliot Preserve and Chaffinch Island Park, Guilford
Leader: Lenny Brown 203-949-9024

These locations promise to produce a variety of species. We hope to find
Hackberry Emperor, American Snout, and southern species that may be moving
through the area at this time of year. Be prepared to walk through an uncut
meadow (possibly wet) and protect yourself from mosquitoes. Wear long pants as
there are a lot of brambles in the preserve.
 Directions: From I-95 take exit 58 and travel south on Rte 77. Follow Rte 77 to
Rte 146 and go west on Rte 146. After approx. 1-2 miles turn left on Mulberry
Point Rd.  Meet at the intersection of Mulberry Point Rd. and Mulberry Farms Rd.