Giant Swallowtail

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Jul 9 19:07:02 EDT 2011

After reading on the MA Leps list about the invasion of Giant  Swallowtails
in southern Berkshire County, on Saturday, 7/9, I visited  northwestern
Litchfield County to see if I could find a Giant Swallowtail in  CT.

To my considerable surprise, I was successful and I saw one at Hollenbeck
Preserve in Canaan.

Despite being badly tattered, it flew north against the  steady northwest
breeze, stopping only momentarily to nectar on  Swamp Milkweed before
continuing north out of sight.

The complete list for the day for follows. (Everything was seen at
Hollenbeck Preserve):

Black Swallowtail (1)
Giant Swallowtail (1) (Obviously, my first of the  year)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (2)
Clouded Sulphur (12)
Orange Sulphur (39)
Bronze Copper (1)
Eastern Tailed-Blue (1)
Great Spangled Fritillary (7)
Meadow Fritillary (2)
Baltimore Checkerspot (11)
Red Admiral (1)
Eyed Brown (26) (My first of the year)
Common Wood Nymph (4)
Monarch (3)
Silver-spotted Skipper (4)
Northern Broken Dash (1)
Little Glassywing (2)
Delaware Skipper (1)
Black Dash (2)

The only disappointment for the day was the fact that I was unable to find
any Dion Skippers.  However, the fact that there was very little Swamp
Milkweed in bloom (Swamp Milkweed is their favorite  nectar plant) coupled with
the steady NW breeze may have accounted for  their apparent absence.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford