Giant Swallowtail

Steve Walter swalter15 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 11 15:36:37 EDT 2011

Regarding Dion Skipper, the trend in Westchester County (admittedly further south) has been for the flight to be late June to very early July. At that time, Swamp Milkweed is not yet available and they're quite happy with Common Milkweed. The Dions seem to disappear so quickly compared to other skippers emerging at a similar time, but then it's such a smaller population. By the second weekend in July, they're pretty much gone and missed on the Westchester count. But who's complaining? Five years ago, they were very difficult to find in Westchester at any time.

Steve Walter