[Ctleps-l] Mourning Cloaks!

butterflypr at comcast.net butterflypr at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 10:39:54 EDT 2015

Decided the lovely hot weather on Monday was the perfect time to hike Shenipsit Forest/Soapstone Mountain in Somers. A Great Spangled Fritillary and a Pearl Crescent greeted me in the parking lot. Near the top, I thought I saw a few Black Swallowtails, but as I began my descent, I got a very clear view of a very fresh Mourning Cloak at a mud puddle. Guessing that's what I saw at the top as well. Also saw a few Common Wood Nymphs and Common Ringlets, and a Little Wood Satyr or two.

Diane Adams

p.s. I THINK I saw a Monarch yesterday--caught in traffic on the Merritt near exit 48, fairly sure one passed me flying along the median.