[Ctleps-l] Butterflies Windsor Locks

Giantonio, Jennifer UTCHQ Jennifer.Giantonio at utc.com
Wed Aug 8 15:43:25 EDT 2018

Best day so far of 2018 for butterflies!

-          Black Swallowtails in yard. 1 eclosed and set free today. 1 on dill.

-          Monarch; at least 3. Many eggs gathered, others in caterpillar and chrysalis state.

-          Cabbage Whites

-          Eastern Tiger Swallowtails

-          Giant Swallowtail

-          Silver Spotted Skippers

-          Eastern Tailed Blue

-          Others I don't know what they are

I also have a bunch of milkweed tussock moth caterpillars; Euchaetes egle or milkweed tiger moth. They are strange looking, very fuzzy. They creep me out.

Questions;
Why do my butterfly bushes get smaller every year? I am pruning them correctly in early spring. Do I need different varieties?
What generation Monarch is laying the eggs, 3 or 4? I think 5 is the super generation that migrates to MX and overwinters?
If I use dill from the grocery store for the black swallowtail, is it bad because it was probably grown with fertilizers, etc. other chemicals?
Thanks.

Jennifer Giantonio