[EAS]Sci-Tech Dictionary

pjk peter.kindlmann at yale.edu
Mon Jan 8 00:57:38 EST 2001

Subject:   Sci-Tech Dictionary

(from TOURBUS -- 6 JAN 2001)
 http://www.TOURBUS.com

-------------------
Sci-Tech Dictionary
-------------------

As long as we are talking about searching for stuff on the Net, here
is a neat site to add to your already overflowing bookmarks list: the
Academic Press Dictionary of Science and Technology at

<A HREF="http://www.harcourt.com/dictionary/">
http://www.harcourt.com/dictionary/ </A>.

According to the site, the printed version of the dictionary is almost
2,500 pages long and

      contains a total of 133,007 entries, making it the largest
      scientific dictionary ever compiled in the English language.
      Included among these 133,007 entries are 112,227 main entry words
      and 20,780 secondary entries

You can buy the dictionary for about US$100 at most bookstores or ...
brace yourself ... you can search the dictionary online for FREE!
And, folks, this is one impressive online dictionary.  Just for grins
I did a search for "muon" which, as we all know, is an unstable
second-generation lepton (much like my younger brother), and darn it
if the Dictionary of Science and Technology didn't find SIX different
matches.  That's unbelievable!

Like the online edition of the American Heritage Dictionary of the
English Language (at http://www.bartleby.com/61/), the Academic Press
Dictionary of Science and Technology also gives you audio
pronunciations for many of its entries.  That's right, folks ... not
only can you look up a scientific word's definition, you can also hear
how that word is pronounced!

Anyway, if you are looking for a good scientific dictionary -- or if
you are just wondering what would happen if you heaved a block of
cesium into your neighbor's swimming pool (hint: cesium "decomposes
water to produce hydrogen that ignites spontaneously") -- add
http://www.harcourt.com/dictionary/ to your reference bookmarks.

And if you know where I can find a block of cesium, let me know.  :)

That's it for today.  Have a safe and happy week, and we'll talk again
soon.