[EAS]Re: Modularity/Biomechanics

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Fri Mar 2 03:33:54 EST 2001

Subject:   RE>Modularity/Biomechanics

Dear Colleagues -

Further to the earlier mailing about "Modularity", about the
partitioning of systems into smaller functional entities,
http://www.yale.edu/engineering/eng-info/msg00807.html
I meant to mention another book.

While the book by M.J. French deals more with the man-made domain,
a recent book by Steven Vogel, "Cats' Paws and Catapults"
(Norton 1998), looks in much more detail at the biomechanical
world. To quote from the cover jacket

>    Our human technology has emerged from ten thousand years of
> design, trial and error. Nature's mechanical designs, the function
> of plants and animals, are billions of years older. Both
> "technologies" share the same physical environment--the same
> materials, atmosphere, and temperature range--and both are subject
> to the same gravitational pull. But they've turned out to be wildly
> dissimilar.
>    Human designers love right angles, but nature is typically
> round, curved, and its angles are more diverse. The wheel enables a
> huge amount of our technology, yet nature's only true wheels lie
> within tiny bacteria. Most of our water vessels sail buoyantly
> across water's surface, while nature typically swims submerged. Our
> hinges turn because hard parts slide around, whereas natural hinges
> (such as a rabbit's ear) turn by bending their flexible materials.
>    Steven Vogel examines the many questions that arise from these
> differences. "Cats' Paws and Catapults" ... introduces the reader
> to the field of biomechanics and explains how the nexus of physical
> law and historical accident determine the designs of both people
> and nature.

Vogel is James B. Duke Professor of Biology at Duke University and
a very congenial writer. His is one of many books I'm waiting to
have time to read at leisure. This may require retirement. The bits
I _have_ read are fascinating.

Lastly, the "Modularity" mailing prompted a response from Gregg
Favalora. Gregg is the '96 Yale EE graduate whose 3-D display
prototype won in the BF Goodrich Invention contest, and has
continued running in the Becton basement display case for over
4-1/2 years. The whole Yale Class of 2000 came and went while
currents continued to course through its Protoboard wires. I'm too
human not to pass on below my email exchange with Gregg (with his
permission).

All best,  --PJK