[EAS]Email & Terrorism

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Fri Sep 14 01:26:39 EDT 2001

Subject:   Email & Terrorism

(from NewsScan Daily, 13 September 2001)

FBI TARGETS E-MAIL FOR CLUES
The FBI has served major U.S. Internet service providers with
search  warrants in connection with an e-mail address believed to
be connected to  Tuesday's terrorist attacks. "They wanted to know
what we have on our  network, and our logs about this [e-mail]
address, if that address has  flowed through our network at any
time," said an executive at Earthlink.  The address does not belong
to Earthlink, but the company was told to  expect more warrants as
the investigation continues. "They said they're  going to all the
ISPs," he said. Earthlink said that agents did not install  the
Carnivore e-mail surveillance device on its servers, relying
instead on  Earthlink's own computer logs. Meanwhile, AOL and Yahoo
officials said  their companies were cooperating fully with the FBI
and an MSN spokesman  would only say that the company works
regularly with law enforcement  officials. (AP 12 Sep 2001)
http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010912/17/tech-attacks-internet-warrants

SECURITY AND PRIVACY ISSUES: THE BALANCING ACT GROWS HARDER
The technologists, who generally are strong privacy advocates, are
struggling to decide what to do to maintain data privacy without
hampering  law enforcement efforts to stop terrorists. An executive
of a security  services company in New Jersey says: "Yesterday
changed the way we live and  there's a whole new dimension in the
debate over privacy versus security.  More people seem to be
willing to compromise but no one seems to have  figured out just
yet what's reasonable." And a security director at an  Internet
service provider admits: "As much as I don't like the intrusive
nature of online surveillance technology, I really want to find the
guys  who did this [Tuesday's terrorist attacks in New York and
Washington]." But  Joseph Turow, a University of Pennsylvania
professor of privacy and new  media insists: "The question is
whether you overreact in pursuit of a  handful of terrorists and in
the process change the constitutional  protections of millions of
American citizens." (Washington Post 13 Sep 2001)
http:/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21207-2001Sep12.html

PROTECTING THE NATION FROM CYBER ATTACKS
Although computer security observers have noticed no signs of
unusual  network activities since Tuesday's terrorist attacks, the
FBI's National  Infrastructure Protection Center held an emergency
meeting yesterday to  consider the situation. Computer security
consultant Donn Parker says,  "Terrorists attacked our financial
and political centers Tuesday. The  logical next step is to attack
our computer infrastructure. That would  shake Americans' daily
lives." (USA Today 13 Sep 2001)
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2001/09/13/cyber-attack-next.htm