[EAS]Web Style Guide 2e.

pjk pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Sat Sep 27 10:16:00 EDT 2003

Subject:   Web Style Guide 2e.

Dear Colleagues -

> First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to
> turn numbers into letters with ASCII Ñ and we thought it was a
> typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a
> television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure.
>     Ñ Douglas Adams

And much more than that now. The Web is fast becoming the primary
way in which an institution is expected to explain itself, its
purposes and programs. Too few administrators realize that this
takes serious professional management akin to that of a professional
journal's managing editor. Web sites with good design and content
management become, for the serious reader, a trusted genre.  The
experience at poorly designed sites ranges between a turnoff and a
McDonald's meal.

The widely admired Web Style Guide by Patrick Lynch (Yale Center for
Advanced Instructional Media) and Sarah Horton (Dartmouth) has now
gone into a second edition online version.

http://www.webstyleguide.com/

Rather than dwell on technical detail, the guide focuses on the
usability, layout, and attractiveness of a Web site. Considerations
such as graphics, typography, and multimedia enhancements are
discussed. Web site structure, fine-tuned features on individual
pages, and almost everything in between is addressed by the guide,
making it an important resource for those who realize the importance
of an effective Web presence.

    --PJK