[EAS] Materialistics

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:49:17 EST 2006

Some commentators have suggested that in our current culture the
three R's (Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmetic) of education have yielded to
the three M's (Multimedia, Multitasking and Materialistics).
Materialistics is learning the difference between virtual reality and
actual reality. In support of actual reality I offer this well-done
site from Thomson Gale Publishing.
    --PJK

----------------------------------
(from The Scout Report -- March 10, 2006)
<http://scout.wisc.edu/Reports/ScoutReport/2006/scout-060310.php>

How Products Are Made
<http://www.madehow.com/>

In a world that has the capability to create infinitesimally tiny machines,
it may be hard for some to understand how the most basic products are
created. This website attempts to answer some of those questions, beginning
with information on how accordions are made, and ending with a discussion on
the creation of zirconium. For each item, visitors will have the opportunity
to learn about the processes involved with their manufacture and assembly.
Perhaps users have wondered how the tiny candy corn is manufactured? They
need wonder no more after taking a look at this site. The site also takes on
more complex items, such as the camera lens and the nicotine patch. Overall,
the site contains dozens of such detailed descriptions, and can be enjoyed
by persons of all ages and interests.