[EAS] Lectures & Chinese Food

Peter J. Kindlmann pjk at design.eng.yale.edu
Tue Apr 24 23:25:31 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues -

Another item from Rick Reis's interesting TOMORROW'S PROFESSOR list
reminds us how little students typically retain from lectures. Much
of the time their mind isn't even on what you are saying.

I remember one nugget from a research project where some university's
highly reputed professor had a class enthralled with Asian history.
Or so it seemed. At a common signal, students were to write down
(anonymously) what they were actually thinking about at that moment.
Amidst Ghengis Khan's hordes thundering across the plains for
Mongolia came the signal. Only about a 1/3 of the class was actually
really paying close attention. Many were thinking about something
else entirely. Several, and this is the charming part that sticks
with me, were thinking about having Chinese food for dinner.

Sure, our engineering material is very different, but it doesn't even
rise to Cecil B. DeMille dimensions. I probably deluded myself for 40
years that my "impedance match" must surely be better. I'm not so
sure -- with age one easily just get better at kidding oneself. Our
classes are much smaller than History classes. If you make them very
interactive, constantly asking questions about what you are doing,
seeing if students can take the next step, you can probably keep
sampling and stirring their mindfulness frequently enough to keep
them involved, like that Chinese conjurer keeping many spinning
plates going. If not, you're "Chinese food."

All best,  --PJK