[EAS] The Insecurities All Around Us

Peter J. Kindlmann peter.kindlmann at yale.edu
Sun Nov 4 23:29:49 EST 2012

Dear Friends and Colleagues -

The recovery from the damage done by Hurricane Sandy to our physical
infrastructure reminds us vividly of its vulnerability. As get our
various network services back, it is also worth reflecting on how
fundamentally vulnerable those network services are.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/science/rethinking-the-computer-at-80.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

or if you want to get into detail,
http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2012/10/155536-internet-voting-in-the-us/fulltext

Banks are regularly and quietly replenishing funds stolen though
computer fraud, without publicity, so as to not shake confidence in
their services. The amounts involved are growing.

And now we are on the eve of a likely very close election using
computers systems often not thoroughly tested, with provisional
software patches, .....  We, the voters, can only hope there won't be
quiet replenishments.

Or as Stalin is chillingly quoted in the NYT article: "It's not who
votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."

All the best in all regards,  --PJK

[Again I am grateful to my security-expert friend, Alfred Ganz of AG
Consulting, for this material.]