Shall We Dance - Prologue

Alan Kita alkita at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 5 13:36:08 EST 1997

(sheepishly) although I live in Southern California, I have yet to see
"Shall We Dance" on the film screen nor even the TV screen as the video
is readily available in this area.  DON'T BOTHER SENDING ME AN EMAIL,
because I will eventually see it somehow!!!

Anyways, Miramax has done such a wonderful job (again) in marketing the
film that the film has now reach the hinterlands of the U.S.  Well since
I personally saw it will be playing in Salt Lake City UT it must be in
the hinterlands by now...

Actually, the advertisement and the publicity for "Shall We Dance" is
not anything to write about...but for some reason, as "Il Postino", the
film caught on with audience and critics (or least, the contemporary
version of a film "reviewer") that the impression is given that this is
a must-see film.  I'm sure the TV ads will increase nearer Awards
Season, because I assume "Shall We Dance" could probably qualify for a
Foreign Film Oscar, unless the Japanese film people feel otherwise.

I remember a few years back, "Ballroom Dancing" from Australia made Paul
Mercurio a star and increased ratings for PBS' "international ballroom
dancing contest" annual special.  Since then, most major universities
now sponsor a ballroom dance club.

It seems to me, the film is well-done, but what would inspire the
beer-and-trailer people to leave their trailer parks to go see the
film?  (I'm only kidding of course, but taking a cue from comedienne
Brett Butler of TV's "Grace Under Fire" that is real America).

Well whatever it is nice to see a Japanese film finally being welcomed
and embraced without the usual baggage of auto import statistics and the
big bad Japanese corporate guy that we had seen recently.

Alan