Meiji balls

marran marran
Tue Nov 4 16:14:29 EST 1997

The Meiji "balls" to which Alan refers  took place in the mid-1880s at the
illustrious Rokumeikan "hall" where, as Georges Bigot put it in one of his
satirical caricatures of the Tokyo bureaucrats, "The elite of the Japanese
world, with ravishing costumes . . . are seen everywhere."  (Bigot's image
of a dancing couple is reproduced in Julia Meech-Pekarik's The World of the
Meiji Print.)  There should also be a number of extant woodblock prints
with couples whirling about the Rokumeikan floor.  The dancing, the
education in western social etiquette, etc. of the Rokumeikan culture was,
as Alan surmised, a passing fad, but one that was not without some
felicitous effects.
c. marran