intro/please help me

taro thg427 at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 15 13:04:02 EDT 1997

Hi.  My name is Taro Goto.  I'm currently a third-year student at UC
Berkeley, double-majoring in film and anthropology.

I've recently began to take a significant interest in Japanese cinema, and
I've been toying with the prospect of studying abroad in Japan for a year.
The problem is that, of the universities that have an exchange agreement
with UC Berkeley, only the University of Tokyo offers courses in both film
and anthropology.  Of course, the U. of Tokyo certainly is regarded by many
as the most prestigious school in Japan, if not all of Asia.  What I would
like to know, however, is how strong they are in the film studies
department.  I've checked out a recent course catalog, and I found that
only two or three film courses were offered per year.  If these few courses
are being taught by reknowned film scholars, I will go ahead and take those
courses.  But if the U. of Tokyo simply is not known for its film studies,
I might look elsewhere or stay put in the Bay Area.

If you know anything about the state of film education in Japan, and the U.
of Tokyo in particular, please give me some insight.

Thank you.