swallowtail

Alan Kita alkita
Tue Apr 7 18:17:17 EDT 1998

I think Swallowtail should be seen outside of Japan, but I don't it will
go over well in the U.S.  Partly because Japanese film goers (aside from
anime enthusiasts) expect films to be more like "Gonin," and its
ancestral films, or like "Shall We Dance" and the ilk, "Swallowtail"
doesn't fit a stereotype.

"Otoko wa tsurai" series...I think subtitles alone cannot capture the
exact translation of the subtleties of language to make it more
enjoyable to those with limited in-Japan experiences.  However, it would
make an interesting TV comedic drama series, if we change the characters
somewhat.

Alan Kita
California USA