Takeshi Kitano interview

Susan Paik susan.paik
Sat Apr 4 03:11:54 EST 1998

	Dear Mark Schilling and to others who might be interested,

	I have not seen any of Kitano Takeshi's films yet but have heard so much of the recent works such as Kids
return and ofcourse the HANABI but trying hard to find any other films he made which might be available in VHS and
waiting for the Asian film festival to start in Toronto.  The interview was very informative for me to see Kitano as a director
as well as a person.  Since the issue of Japanese youth have raised, I wanted to know  if the Japanese Cinema today is
taking any role to criticize the both the State and the youth and have created any resolution or new direction of possibilities
as their earlier Cinema took a role on the issue of Modernism.  This thought wondered as Japan today is dealing with many
social problems and the recent article I've read about teachers in Japan getting beat up by their students and losing
every sense of respect.  This article shocked me and my whole family where the traditional value still run deeply, if
anyone can write me back on the issue of Japanese youth, Cinema on that issue and any recommendation of the films
which deals with this issue I like to thank in advance, your help means great to me.

				Sincerely,

					Susan Paik