Takeshi Kitano interview

Mile Films MileFilms
Sat Apr 4 07:20:17 EST 1998

Thank you Mark, for the very well-written thoughts on Mr. Kitano's politics. I
didn't want to be first in line since we have an interest in his career. What
we (mostly our colleague Fumiko since she escorted Kitano and crew on their
trip in the US promoting his film) found in our meetings with him was a very
shy, thoughtful, private person with a sense of humor about himself -- his
associates make fun of him much to his amusement. He was much different than
his reputation as many of the Japanese critics in New York found out. They
called and wrote us after meeting him to say they were astonished to find how
nice he was (not an umbrella in sight).

His work is meant to be provacative and for this sake takes him to all sides
of the political spectrum. Outside of his film career, I don't think he takes
himself that seriously. There have been many interviews where he starts to be
"academic" and then turns around instantly and makes fun of his own
pretentiousness. The use of the sea is the perfect example. He'll start
talking about man's relation to his own primal creation and then say that's
all a lie -- it's just because he can shoot on the beach without being mobbed
by fans.

One journalist said she was surprised at his new-found ability to portray
women in his film work after seeing Hana-Bi. He told the story about how his
girlfriend cried at the ending at then turned and hit him saying he was a
great big liar because he know's nothing about women.

In essence, I think he loves the contradictions in himself and his ability to
say whatever he feels at the moment and get away with it.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film