Introduction

atif iqbal iqbal_atif at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:51:02 EDT 1998

Hi !

My name is Atif Iqbal and I am a banker in Pakistan. Given my interest
in Japanese (and World) Cinema I was introduced to the list by a few
friends of my brother in the US. So, for the past few months I have been
following with a lot of interest the e-mail traffic on the  list, given
the scholarly content (with particular reference to new movies about
which I have little info).

This is so as there are few opportunities to catch Japanese films in
Pakistan (barring occasional viewings by Cultural centres), and so there
is a long way for me to go in developing a better understanding of
Japanese Cinema. Certainly being able to catch up on new releases is
close to impossible unless I am travelling abroad. I have to rely on
getting videos of movies from abroad to be able to keep up with my
passion.

Presently, my viewings have been restricted more to Classical Japanese
Cinema of Ozu, Kurosawa, Naruse, Mizoguchi etc., and I would like to be
able to continue doing so. Would thus appreciate if somebody could
identify a source from which I can get videos of the following Kurosawa
movies (with sub-titles), I have searched a number of catalogs and video
houses, but to no avail and would sincerely welcome any input. The
movies are as follows :

1. The Most Beautiful (Ichiban Utsukushiku)
2. Sanshiro Sugata - Part Two (Zoku Sugata Sanshiro)
3. Those who make tomorrow (Asu o Tsukuru Hitobito)
4. One Wonderful Sunday (Subarashiki Nichiyobi)
5. High and Low  (Tengoku to Jigoku)
6. Madadayo

Clearly, I am a big Kurosawa fan (have all his other movies), and am one
of those who believe that watching "Ikiru" made a real difference to my
life.

Would appreciate some help from any one on the above i.e. phone
number/name/e-mail/address/web site : any detail for ordering the above
movies.

Kind Regards,
Atif