Availability of Japanese films on videotape.

frye frye at siservices.net
Sat Aug 29 16:57:40 EDT 1998

It seems that the availability of videotapes of Japanese films is
limited mostly to classics and cult-favorites.  Does anyone know a
source for purchasing somewhat lesser-known Japanese films from the
1950s and 1960s such as The Vacuum Zone (1952) by Satsuo Yamamoto or
Anzukko (1958) by Mikio Naruse?  I have tried every major source I could
find in the United States with no luck.  Even if these films are not
available in this country, it seems likely that they would be available
in Japan (albeit without subtitles), much in the same way that most
older films are available in this country.  However, I cannot search
Japanese websites because I do not understand Japanese.  So I was
wondering if anyone could give me an English speaking source for
ordering videos in Japan?

Thanks
Howard Frye