Television on KineJapan

Michael Badzik mike
Tue Aug 18 23:55:52 EDT 1998

A while back Aaron Gerow wondered:

>But maybe there is some interest in discussing TV.

I was hoping so, although the response so far has been rather
underwhelming. But before this thread dies I would like to plead
its case.

As best I can tell, there are few serious studies of Japanese
television available in English. I looked in the eight volume
Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan to see what they might say about
television, and found just a few facts, dates and dollars mostly,
and some bland generalizations. Of course the entry for film is
nine pages long, with many additional pages under the separate
entries for various directors and actors. The small number of
interpretative (as opposed to descriptive) writings on television
that I have been able to find are usually disappointingly shallow
and casually dismissive. Even on this mailing list some members
have mentioned research they are doing in a number of fairly
obscure areas of Japanese culture, but not one person (in the five
months I have been on this list) has said that they are doing any
work related to television. There is, however, certainly plenty of
room for original investigation and new insight on the subject.

So why is television worth looking at? Despite what you may have
heard, there are quality programs that appear from time to time.
Also, the ease and frequency with which actors, writers, and
directors move between film and television make it difficult to
ignore; the television work done by the director Iwai Shunji,
actors Sanada Hiroyuki, Toyokawa Etsushi, and Itami Juuzo, writer
Mitani Koki, (to say nothing of Beat Takeshi and a host of others)
cannot go unobserved in any significant examination of their
careers. And finally, the huge acceptance of television by the
Japanese people of itself makes it an important subject, as it
has become both a leader and follower of current and future
trends and ways of thinking (and television certainly affects
ways of thinking).

And so, if there is interest, what subjects might be discussed?
Both Aaron and Dick Chalfen have given some good suggestions here,
to which I would like to add a couple more that I would enjoy
seeing covered:

1. What are the natural methods of form and expression in
television drama? A small screen is quite different from a large
one, and a theater is quite different from one's home, and so
television drama in Japan very quickly developed a style quite
distinct from that of film. One style that did (and still does)
influence television is that of the radio drama, which also
emanates from a small box in one's home. Both depend on an
up-close and immediate style of presentation to keep the
listener/viewer from turning away. The movie made to be seen on
a large screen in a quiet theater has a larger threshold before
distraction, and can thus have more long shots and quiet
moments - though this is changing as movies depend more on video
and less on theatrical release for revenue.

2. How do television and film interact with each other? Recently,
a large number of movies have been released to theaters that were
produced by television production companies. Is this having any
kind of a profound effect on the industry? Of course this is not
an entirely new trend, as Tora-san, if you remember, actually got
his start on television.

I am aware of other places on the internet for fans of Japanese
popular culture and that they probably are the best places for
much of what might be discussed about television. But if there is
a better forum for discussing the questions above, please direct
me to it.

Thanks for your patience,

Michael Badzik
mike at vena.com