Pia Cinema Club CD-ROM (E + J)

Abe-Nornes amnornes
Fri Aug 21 01:13:09 EDT 1998

This summer I wanted to buy a new Pia Cinema Club to replace my old one.
This is a handy book of synopses and data. There is one for foreign films
and one for Japanese films. I noticed a CD-ROM version that included both,
and picked it up.  When I got home, I discovered that it didn't work and it
took some troubleshooting with Pia to figure out the problem. So I thought
I would tell folks that, first, the CD-ROM is out there, costs about 10,000
yen, works on PC & Mac, and is a nice resource. One problem is that while
it prints, you cannot output data as text. However, otherwise I'm glad I
got it.

Second, I thought I would note how to work around the start up problem,
since I'm sure to forget.

The problem has to do with the fact that my system is running the Mac
Language Kit and not a Japanese system. The program automatically puts a
file inside the system folder in order to run, but requires Japanese names
on the folders in order to find the proper location. To run the disk,

Rename the System Folder: ???????? (this must be in katakana)
Inside this, place an empty folder named: ????

Start up the disk and it should work.

Note: If I recall, you cannot change the system folder name on versions
before System 8.

Markus