TV Discussion

lcoqc@qcvaxa.acc.qc.edu lcoqc
Sat Aug 29 00:40:35 EDT 1998

Excuse me for jumping in here, I confess I haven't
been following this thread very closely at all (not
for lack of interest but lack of time) and this
may well be utterly irrelevant (or redundant?) but
can't help recalling and reporting my single most
shocking experience watching television in Japan.
The setting was the kotatsu / living room of an
extended family in rural Japan (my inlaws at the
time), four generations, all eyes glued to the screen
(around 1986?). The program was (my recollection was
that Takeshi was involved but could well be wrong)
replays of excerpts from Gekko~ Kamen series of
20 (30?) years back. No commentary, No funny subtitling
or other tampering. Just the excerpts straight.
And the effect was totally ludicrous (and exacerbated
by the absence of commentary), uncanny in fact.
There was a strange nervous silence in the room
because (so I assumed) at least two of the generations
present had once watched these programs with a
kind of awe or at least in all seriousness and now,
just 2 (3?) decades later the sheer act of putting them
on the tube was enough to achieve a sublime degree
of humor (or ridicule?) Is there I wonder a word
for this form of irony?

I'd assume that the easiest criterion for measuring the
worth of a TV program is can you imagine enjoying watching
it twice? But I guess that goes without saying.

LC