koGALS

philippe pchristi
Sat Aug 29 05:09:51 EDT 1998

>>An interesting counterpoint to Harada's film might be the film Love & Pop
>>that came out about 6 months ago, based off a Murakami Ryu script or novel
>>(I can't remember which).  In it the koGAL has a family, and day-trips to
>>Shibuya.
>
>Could you give me/us more precise informations about the film "Love & Pop"?
>Who is the director, what's the story about?

LOVE & POP is directed by Hideaki Anno, one of the top "anime" director in
Japan.
He's working for the studio GAINAX, one of the best anime studio in Japan
(ONEAMISU NO TSUBASA, NADIA AND THE SECRET OF THE BLUE WATER and THE serie
of 1995 : EVANGELION).
As I know from a friend in Japan, LOVE AND POP deal more about the problem
of communication beetween young people. It's interesting to know that,
because Anno come from a studio which is dealing a lot with the problem of
Otaku. Gainax made a wonderful movie named OTAKU NO VIDEO which is a mix of
interviews of fans and a story in animation about 2 young men who try to
become otaking. It's plenty of reference of the anime world in Japan and lot
of humour.
I think this "ani-documentary" is the big source of a documentary made by
the french director J-Jacques Beneix (BETTY BLUE) and Etienne Barral. I
don't remember well, but I think there is an interview of Anno in it
speaking about the taku phenomenon...

Best regards.

Philippe CHRISTIN