2 Kato Tai films

stephen sarrazin stephens
Mon Dec 14 08:55:29 EST 1998

>So you have to go somewhere else, to find some more informations. But the short descriptions that you find about such unknown films are extremely vague (eg. the film descriptions in the Locarno Film Festival catalogue,the web page of the American Cinematheque) and I think we should have at least something comparable to the ?Sight and Sound?-film descriptions on the net.

A similar retrospective was held in Turin last Winter. It was also
published a short booklet on Kato Tai, "Il cinema di Kato Tai", ed. by
Yamane Sadao and Hasumi Shigehiko, 15 Festival Internazionale Cinema
Giovani, 1997, in Italian, including the complete filmography of Kato's
works and some short essays by Yamane Sadao, Kato Tai, Hasumi Shigehiko
and Ueno Koshi. If you can read Italian, there's another interesting
reference to Kato Tai (three chapters!) in "Schermi giapponesi. La
tradizione e il genere", Venezia,Marsilio Editore, 1984.
Roberta

Wanted to add that part of the Kato tai retro was also shown at the
french cinematheque, and that Hasumi Shigehiko also wrote a short text
on the films in the program. So if you read french...Nicolas Saada, who
writes for Les Cahiers du Cinema, and sometimes for HK magazine, wrote a
fairly classic review & analysis of that retrospective. So again, if you
read french. Both HK and the French Cinematheque have web sites.And
there's always the french translation of Sato Tadao's 2 volume history
of Japanese cinema.

Stephen S.