Nagato Hiroyuki filmography

Michael Raine michael-raine
Wed Dec 23 14:09:30 EST 1998

Here's the message to which Aaron was replying. As he notes, Nagato is part
of an extended family of film people, a "geinojin ikka" as the
encyclopedias always note. On that topic, what do people think about the
family relations in the film business? There are plenty of Drew Barrymore's
and Michael Douglas' in the American film industry, but are there more Sada
Keiji-Nakai Kiichi (not to mention the Matsu brood) type connections in the
Japanese entertainment world? Do anyone think this has had an effect on the
kind of films that get made?

Michael

====
Nagato was indeed prolific: the Japanese movie database lists almost 200
films! I don't know much about Nagato's career before he joined Nikkatsu in
1955 but perhaps I can satisfy some of Arnault's interest. His first
incarnation at Nikkatsu was as a "taiyo boy" like Kawaguchi Hiroshi at
Daiei. He starred in Taiyo no kisetsu (the sister picture to Kurutta
kajitsu, mentioned in Donald Richie's review of Stephen Cremin's book and
on the list recently) but was superseded by Ishihara Yujiro. He played
second fiddle to Yujiro in films such as Washi to taka and Nikui
anchikusho. He said in an interview that he appeared in those Imamura films
(Nusumareta yokujo, Hateshi naki yokubo, Nianchan)  made in the "shakaibu"
because he couldn't get the action film roles he wanted. If you like
Nagato's performances, perhaps you might also enjoy those of his younger
brother, Tsugawa Masahiko, who many regard as the more effective performer.
I guess Tsugawa's latest role was Pride -- I saw that it was one of the top
10 films last year but haven't read any criticism on the film. How was it
received?

Michael