Korea's Protect Screen Quota Day

Abe-Nornes amnornes
Tue Dec 1 15:32:20 EST 1998

I am posting a very interesting announcement that just started circulating
on the net. It is the latest battle in the screen quota fight in Korea, a
fight that has a long and complicated history. Korea is one of those places
where there is a clear connection between government policy vis a vis
imports and the conditions for local production. As you can see, the
protest has the muscle of some pretty famous people behind it.

Upon reading this, I suddenly realized that I know far more about the
history of federal domestic film protection in the Korean context. I'm
basically ignorant of Japanese import policy. Does anyone know if there
even IS one?

Markus

DECEMBER 1:     PROTECT SCREEN QUOTA DAY

Halt Production of All Korean Filmmaking on December 1!

--Schedule of Events-

Urgent Press Conference

When:           December 1, 11:00 AM
Where:  Namsan Building, Room 217
                (Directors' Association Screening Room)

Demonstration and March

Time:           1:00 PM
Where:  Kwanghwamun Building (next to Koreana Hotel)
                March begins at Kwanghwamun Bldg,
                with stops at Government Complex (?????? ??) at 2:00
                and again at Kwanghwamun Bldg.

All Night Vigil

Time:           4:30 PM
Where:  Myongdong Cathedral

LONG LIVE THE SCREEN QUOTA SYSTEM ! ! !
LONG LIVE KOREAN CINEMA ! ! !

Emergency Committee to Protect the Screen Quota System
Co-Chairs: Kim Ji-Mi, Im Kwon-Taek, Lee Tae-Won

Contact: IM Hyun-Ock / ECOM-QUOTA
T: (822) 754-8856; F: (822) 754-8857
Han Jin 011-479-0727
PRESS RELEASE

Halt Production of All Korean Filmmaking on December 1!

While the ROK-US Bilateral Investment Treaty talks(BIT) has been
implemented to solve the economic crisis by year's end, the most
controversial issue at the negotiation table is none other than the screen
quota system for Korean films. While maintenance of the screen quota system
continues to be criticized, we are frustrated that the contents of this
agreement have not been revealed, nor has the official position of the
Korean government in the negotiations been stated.

Why is the Screen Quota System Being Attacked Again?
As a country now registered with the OECD, Korea is moving forward for the
first time in the investment agreement with the U.S. We can't ignore the
long-term efforts of the film community dedicated to the screen quota
system, but now the quota system is in danger of disappearing in one fell
swoop. The film community requests that the issue be concretized in the
process of the ROK-US Bilateral Investment Treaty talks(BIT), and that the
government specifically issue its official position on the screen quota
system.

The Korean cinema is in danger of being the sacrificial lamb in the
concessions the Korean government may make as part of the conditions of
U.S. investments. Because film is an important representative of national
culture, we are holding an emergency press conference to address this
crisis and to bring world attention to it.

The 'Screen Quota System' is Again an Issue
On December 1 all production in Korean filmmaking will be suspended. The
film community will gather in one place to defend the screen quota system
by announcing our unwavering position and course of action, and will demand
that the Korean government state its official position while in the process
of the ROK-US Bilateral Investment Treaty talks(BIT).

Emergency Committee to Protect the Screen Quota System
ECOM-QUOTA