KINEJAPAN digest 195

Alan Kita alkita at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 6 13:17:46 EST 1998

Perhaps an issue of Mangajin can help locate some titles.  Maybe I was
wrong but I recall that Kinokuniya in Los Angeles carries some.

BTW, Kinokuniya Los Angeles has been FULLY part of the Kinokuniya North
America chain, and its headquarters is in San Francisco.  But if some of
you noticed that the LA store carries different items from the rest is
that for a long time since it first opened, the store in Los Angeles was
managed under a joint management with a longtime community bookstore
owner and thus carried more trade books in Japanese.  When he passed
away over five years ago, did Kinokuniya take more active management and
complete remodeled its Los Angeles store.  By this time, most of the
mom-and-pop stores had closed and it was Kinokuniya's advantage in
offering Japanese titles made a difference in its success.

Now, it has swung around and although still nonexistent in Little Tokyo,
but there are more Mom-and-Pop stores outside of the downtown Los
Angeles area than before.  There is one in Torrance where I live called
"Manga Mura" that I found -- I'll go check it out and see what they have
in terms of anime videos to purchase.

Alan