loosely on topic - Tokyo Eyes

Aaron Gerow gerow
Thu May 21 20:19:39 EDT 1998

Lisa Roosen-Runge wrote,

>Last night I was watching a French talk show (from France 2) on Cannes,
>which featured Jean-Pierre Limosin and his new film Tokyo Eyes.
>It seemed to be filmed in Tokyo and features the young actors Takada Ai
>and Takeda Shinji (according to the IMDB). There is a cameo segment from
>Beat Takeshi.  I don't speak French, so unfortunately I can only pass on
>snippets my friend translated here and there.  It seems to be a "polar"
>or thriller, and the segments shown looked quite stylishly shot.

One of the wide-shows here did a long segment on Takeda and the other
star, (the ditzy and, sometimes I wonder, brain dead) idol Yoshikawa
Hinano, in Cannes promoting the film.  A big effort was made to emphasize
how the two were the focus of much media attention, showing French film
magazines etc. (even though the magazines had, as a caption, only
"Director Limosin and his two Japanese actors," not mentioning their
names).  Takeda is supposed to be some kind of weird virtual reality
otaku who takes up killing people and Hinano-chan the girl who falls for
him.  The wide-show commentators, always trying to be topical, said this
was a French director's attempt to depict Japanese youth today.

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html