self introduction, etc.

Ono Seiko and Aaron Gerow onogerow
Sun May 31 09:56:59 EDT 1998

Michael kindly mentioned my work on the Shinkankakuha and film, so I
guess I should provide some references:

"Celluloid Masks: The Cinematic Image and the Image of Japan," _Iris_ 16
(1993): 23-36.

   Includes a section on Kawabata and film.

_Cinetek: A Page of Madness_ (Flicks Books, forthcoming)

   My monograph on the film, which should be coming out this fall.

"Eiga no hoka no kanosei: _Kurutta ichipeiji_ no juyo to eizo no
kodo-ka," _Gengo bunka_ (1998).

  A Japanese reworking of sections of the monograph.  Will appear this
month in _Gengo bunka_.

For other people who have worked on the film, the most comprehensive work
is probably that done by Mariann Lewinsky:

Mariann Lewinsky: Eine verrueckte Seite. Stummfilm und filmische
Avantgarde in Japan (Zuercher Filmstudien 2, herausgegeben von Prof. Dr.
Christine N. Brinckmann). Zuerich: Chronos Verlag, 1997, 441 p. ISBN
3-905311-60-7.

(Thanks to Janine Hansen for the reference)

The main person in Japan who has been working on the connections between
Shinkankaku literature and film is Waseda's Toeda Yuichi.  He focuses
mainly on the issue of literary form (not on the groups actual
involvement in film), but one of his essays on Yokomitsu is:

"1930-dai zengo no Yokomitsu Riichi to eiga," _Nihon no bungaku_ 1
(1992): 163-183.

You should look for some of his other work.

Good luck,

Aaron Gerow
YNU