Kurosawa preservation

Alan Kita alkita
Mon Nov 30 14:02:28 EST 1998

My director is working on this project (he initiated it) however I don't
have complete information on the project.

I have not seen the films in questions as to the quality of prints...but
it is generally regarded as these films had existed since Japanese movie
theatres had existed in the Los Angeles area, and have since their
closures years ago (as late as 15 years) are presumed to be not stored
appropriately.

Although many filmmakers are agreeing to be part of an Honorary
Committee, the Committee is comprised of the Japan America Society of
Southern California, American Cinematheque, the Film Archives of the
Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, and the Los Angeles Office
of The Japan Foundation.

There is a kickoff event on December 11 where they will screen two films
(print quality unknown to me) of "Rashomon" and "Dreams" at the Laemmle
Beverly Hills Theatre (near the former offices of the WGA).  The project
was also to include striking new subtitles for the films.

I am aware, although the committee has not acknowledge of the existence)
of some of Kurosawa films had been resubtitled for the video market and
these videos were presented on the Bravo cable channel in August 1997.
The films were presented letterbox with the subtitles appearing in the
black margins.  Bravo's presentation included "Red Beard," "Seven
Samurai," "The Hidden Fortress," and others.

Once restored by the preservationists at the Archives for AMPAS,
American Cinematheque will organize a year-long tour....

that's all the information as of now....

send any comments along to me, if you like...

ciao,
Alan
--

  Alan Kita   Program Associate, Arts & Culture
  The JAPAN FOUNDATION LOS ANGELES OFFICE