Japanese vs American cultural influence in Asia

Michael Raine mraine at umich.edu
Thu Dec 9 16:06:00 EST 1999

The New York Times article on Japanese cultural influence in Asia that
someone mentioned recently also pointed to Utada Hikaru as a particularly
successful Japanese import. It might seem odd to cite a performer whose
image so depends on her biography -- born and raised in New York -- and
whose style is so obviously borrowed from US soul/R&B.  But I think the
reporter's point was that Japanese culture was successful in Asia because it
mediates US culture: not so sexually explicit and housed in more familiar
bodies. It certainly seems like a lot of Japanese pop music is the
"kokusanka" of american style now: Hikki, Dragon Ash, Bird, etc.

On the other hand, I have been wondering about a relaxed-narrative "asian
style" recently: a film such as Dil se (directed by Mani Rathnam with
Santosh Sivan as cinematographer) seems to have more in common with Wong Kar
Wai / Chris Doyle or Iwai Shunji / Shinoda Noboru than with the mainstream
of Hindi filmmaking. Does anyone know if the "asian cultural connection"
that Stephen proposes extends as far as India?

Michael