Japanese vs American cultural influence in Asia

Lori Hitchcock lohitchc
Thu Dec 9 18:45:49 EST 1999

By way of giving the Kinema Jumpo citation that I mentioned earlier, I'd
just like to add that, as compelling as the NYT article is (it's nice to
see people writing about this at all), what it doesn't really address much
is Japan's complicated role in an Asian context.  That is, while it raises
issues of Japan's history in Asia, the argument that its influence in Asia
is a largely as a more palatable America seems to elide Japan's role as a
"successfully" modernized Asian nation - or, at least, Japan's
presentation of itself as a successfully modernized Asian nation.  In
other words, I'd be interested to learn how these trends (which, on a
smaller scale, are also occurring in Japan in reverse - esp. w/ relation
to Indian film?) work w/in the context of Japanese discourses on
"Asianization," as well as the pre-existing discourse on Chinese
transnational cultures?

The Kinema Jumpo issue is #1217 (14 March 1997) "Honkon den'ei mankan
zenseki"; an interesting discussion of "Asianization" is Tochigi Akira's
essay, "Commercial and Ideological Factors in the 'Asianization' of the
Japanese Film Industry" (Asian Cinema 5.2 (1990)), as well as Funabashi
Yoiichi's problematic "The Asianization of Asia" (Foreign Affairs Nov/Dec
1993).  One other very interesting essay is "Staging the New Asia:
Singapore's Dick Lee, Pop Music, and a Counter-modernity" by C.J. W.-L.
Wee (Public Culture 8 (1996)), in which Japan-as-consumer is discussed
w/in the Asian cultural sphere.

Lori Hitchcock