MISTY

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Tue Dec 7 11:28:15 EST 1999

"MISTY" mentioned by Jasper has the same title in Japanese.  (Decide for
yourself from the poster/titles whether the official title is katakana or
roman alphabet.)  Its a 1997 production by Amuse and Nikkatsu, I think
locally distributed by Gaga Communications.  To my knowledge director
Saegusa Kenki didn't work again in feature film.  At the time, even within
Japan, it was best noted for its glossy cinematography by Shinoda Noboru,
Iwai's regular DP, and for Heya Kyoko's production design.  Aren't Amuse
primarily a talent agency packaging the likes of Tomita Yasuko in "The
Christ of Nanking" and "Kitchen" anyway?  (I get confused over the
connection with Amuse Video, for example, who seem to be co-distributing
"Shiri" with Cine Qua Non.)  For the record, script was by Inoue Yumiko and
music by Saegusa Shigeaki.  It was always acknowledged as an Akutagawa
Ryunosuke adaptation.  I haven't seen the film and must pick up a subtitled
HK VCD soon ... I'm quite fond of Toyokawa Etsushi, but guessing that the
film is bloody awful too.

PS: "Flowers of Shanghai", officially a Japanese production, has come out on
DVD in Hong Kong with English subtitles ALLEGEDLY.  Same goes for "Hypnosis"
(Saimin).  VCDs of both only have Chinese subtitles.