Japanese vs American cultural influence in Asia

Stephen Cremin asianfilmlibrary
Fri Dec 10 13:11:15 EST 1999

Forgive the meandering nature of this thread!

"All types of culture converge into television from the 1980s. Visual images
without being televised started to weaken from then."

Above is quotation from the co-curator of "Visual Culture - Turnover of the
Century" an exhibition at Sungkok Art Museum (Seoul?) presenting the
development of the visual image in Korean culture since 1950.  The
exhibition runs until 26 January 2000.  In addition to photographs,
advertisements, modern art, etc, the exhibition also recreates a school
classroom, a music cafe and a comic book store.  Recordings of old
television programmes will also be presented.

I don't know whether film is explicitly covered, but it seems a unique
opportunity to draw parallels with the development of the visual image in
Japanese culture over recent decades.  It does certainly cover computer
games, techno music imagery, animation, internet, and multi-media art so its
a shame if a film season isn't running parallel to this exhibition.  (Its
practically impossible to see old Korean films domestically without access
to the Korean Film Archive.)  Back in 1996, I think, the Hong Kong
International Film Festival recreated a 1960s coffee bar as part of an
exhibition to run parallel to their "Cantonese Stars of the 60s"
retrospective.  This Korean exhibition sounds even more ambitious and much
more on the ball than the "Visions of Japan" exhibition held in the UK in
1991.

Futher information on the exhibition can be found on the culture section of
the Korea Herald website.  That's where I read about it.  Perhaps directly
at:
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/news/1999/12/__04/19991211_0417.htm

Sungkok Art Museum has a Korean language website at:
http://www.sungkokmuseum.com

Stephen Cremin