US Distribution of Love Letter

stephen cremin asianfilmlibrary at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 22:27:50 EST 1999

Japanese film isn't so healthy in the UK, although its performing
better than other Asian national cinemas.  There were six new Asian
films distributed in the UK during 1998 (in addition to very limited
re-released for two Mizoguchi films, essentially to gain more press
coverage for a retrospective), of which four were Japanese: "Shall we
Dance?", "The Eel" (Unagi), "HANA-BI" and "April Story" (Shigatsu
Monogatari).  They almost certainly all made a profit while the
Taiwanese and Hong Kong film releases made a loss

It was an interesting year for Japanese film in the UK because it was
the first time that Japanese-language films received full-page
advertising campaigns, with a particularly strong push on "Shall we
Dance?".  The greatest success for Asian film in recent years was
"Farewell My Concubine" which took five times as much money as either
"HANA-BI" or "Shall we Dance?", so I'm not sure Japanese film will
ever reach the prominence that 5th Generation Chinese film did in the
first half of the decade.  (Note that the most recent work of Zhang
Yimou and Chen Kaige is not getting released in the UK now.  A few
years ago UK distributors were bidding for these films at script
stage.)  I'm not sure to what extent the "Gong Li" factor was
important.

But I think its important to note that "HANA-BI" and "Shall we Dance?"
were very special films in that one one the Venice Gold Lion and the
other was a box-office hit in America.  Asian film is out of fashion
again as far as prizes go at Berlin, Cannes and Venice, so I'm not
sure what will happen next year.  But it does look like "Bounce-ko
Girls" will get UK distribution now.  I just hope that can in some way
gain some benefit from "Shall we Dance?" and help change the direction
of Asian film releases in a less "masculine" direction.  With the
exception of "HANA-BI", that kind of cinema has failed to establish
itself beyond the festival circuit.  But I do think that films such as
"Bounce" and "Shall we Dance?" can broaden the interest in Japanese
film in a way that Kitano Takeshi never could.

And regards "Titanic".  I think there has been much talk in the
industry about the "New Romanticism" movement, whatever that means.
The great shame about the release of "Love Letter" in the States is
that it wasn't pushed as a great romantic film to ride that wave.  In
my naivety I was expecting very broad press advertising which just
never happened.  With a new director you have to advertise heavily
because its impossible to grow a film slowly on word-of-mouth anymore.
I think the bigger worry now is what happens in Finland and France
where the first Iwai release will be "Swallowtail Butterfly": will
that create a particular image for Iwai that will narrow his potential
in these markets.  I don't know.

And regarding Japanese teenagers comments on the problems with their
own cinema.  Well, Japanese cinema can't compete on the same scale as
Hollywood.  There are a few directors planning English-language films
and perhaps they can be more ambitious in terms of budget.  The TV
adapations they mention of course largely refers to the police comedy
"Odoru Daisosasen" which I think is exactly the kind of the film the
Japanese film world needs: not big on explosions, but great
entertainment and very cinematic.  I haven't seen the latest figures,
but it was at number one for five weeks taking in US$1,000,000 per
week on just ten screens before "Armageddon" knocked it off its spot.

Stephen Cremin
The Asian Fi