The Mystery of Rampo

Max Bliven Max_Bliven
Fri Jan 1 21:39:08 EST 1999

I just finished watching "The Mystery of Rampo" by Okuyama Kazuyoshi,
and it was really weird. Very surreal. I suppose it would've helped to
have been familiar with the writings of Rampo Edogawa, but my Japanese
is only so fluent. Plus I'd never heard of him. I did like the
cinematography quite a lot, and the main character Rampo's
hallucinatory delusions, or visions, or whatever they were were
absolutely brilliant. I felt like I was the one hallucinating. I'd
never seen any of Okuyama's other films, but this one was all right.
M at X