Japanese Public's view towards cinema

Alan Kita alkita
Tue Jan 5 12:48:08 EST 1999

I know this could not be adequately discussed without imput from more
Japanese as not all are proficient in writing English for Email,
however, what would be some valid reasons why the Japanese do not
embrace a national cinema.

In the 1950s and 1960s, did the Japanese particularly were proud of its
cinema as the rest of the world had begun to recognize J-cinema?

Or has it gone completely the other way...perhaps an overproductive
government sponsored propaganda cinema in the 1930s and 1940s, followed
by the American occupation and its subjugation of Japanese cinema ...
had destroyed the public's faith in the cinema.

I have started to view some of the J-films from tthe 1960s and 1970s.
Although there are some good ones - perhaps even better than the
Kurosawa-era films --- it seems that much of this film remains dated at
that time, and certainly does not fit in today's notions of gender-based
equality.

I will take a stance that discussions of today's national cinemas, it
realy is the women directors that have really defined one's national
cinema, and without contributions of women filmmakers or even strong
women characters, the conciousness of a national cinema doesn't exist.

Alan Kita