anime recommendations wanted

M Arnold n9344881
Mon Jan 25 15:12:39 EST 1999

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Ted Mills wrote:

> consideration. I've enjoyed Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor II, and the
> issues they raise about the concept of a city, possible futures, etc., and

Oshii Mamoru's work definitely deserves consideration.  His idea of the
"Tokyo War," and in fact many of the themes in his films, seem to be
carried over from views on the student movement(s) of the early 70s (?)
and U.S-Japan relations.  In my experience, Japanese animation that deals
with topics like these directly and seriously is rare.  He's directed at
least 3 live action films too, I believe.  Of the two I've seen, "Talking
Head" was the more interesting.  I would also recommend his "Gosenzosama
Banbanzai" video series, which was later compiled into a film entitled
"Maroko."

> already available in the U.S. would obviously be easier to track down.

These will be hard to find in the U.S., but not impossible.  I can rent
them in Seattle's International District.

Kinema Junpo published a special issue on Oshii's work around 1995 (or
1996?) which has plenty of useful information.

Michael Arnold
Bellingham, Washington