Publication announcement (E+J)

Aaron Gerow gerow at ynu.ac.jp
Fri Jul 2 04:04:32 EDT 1999

I always hope people (even out of self-interest) would announce more
publications on KineJapan.  If you've seen or have written an interesting
article or publication on Japanese film, please let the list know about
it.

To get things rolling, I do want to tell people about a book by the
ethnomusicologist Hosokawa Shuhei on the cinema culture of Japanese
immigrants to Brazil.  It contains quite a lot of interesting episodes on
the use of Japanese films by Japanese in Brazil to forge their
identities, such as how benshi in Japanese immigrant communities
"rewrote" films for their convenience.

The Japanese reference is below, but here is the English transliteration:

_Shinemaya, Burajiru o iku: Nikkei imin no kyoshu to aidentiti_
(Shinchosha, 1999). 1200 yen.

シネマ屋、ブラジルを行く : 日系移民の郷愁とアイデンティティ / 細川周平
著. -- (BA40236968)
  東京 : 新潮社, 1999.2
  230, xxip, 図版1枚 ; 20cm. -- (新潮選書)
  注記: 主な参考文献: p228-230 ; 日系ブラジル映画史年表: pi-iii
  ISBN: 410600559X
  別タイトル: シネマ屋、ブラジルを行く : 日系移民の郷愁とアイデンティ
  ティ
  著者標目: 細川, 周平(1955-)
  分類: NDC8 : 334.462 ; NDC9 : 334.462
  件名: 日本人(ブラジル在留) ; 映画 -- 日本

Aaron Gerow
Yokohama National University
KineJapan list owner
For list commands: send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html