SELF INTRODUCTION

Val=%ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=rie Dhiver-Sugiura dhiver.sugiura
Mon Jul 5 20:24:25 EDT 1999

Hello Everybody !
I am very pleased to join the Kinejapan group. In the last few days, I've
received all your messages, and I am impressed by your enthusiasm, the
volume and variety of topics evoked.
My name is Valerie Dhiver and I come from France. I now live in Paris. I
lived in Japan for 5 years, first as a Monbusho student, then working for a
Japanese distribution company which has unfortunately disappeared, CINE
SAISON.
I discovered Japanese films after my first stay in Japan in 1989. At that
time, I watched all the classics I could see in Paris and was particularly
impressed by KOBAYASHI Masaki and his fetiche actor, NAKADAI. I am
especially interested in contemporary feature films from Japan because of
the energy and the youth spirit of the production.
Since my departure from Japan, three years ago, I feel there has been so
much going on and it is hard to keep track of it from Little France. I hope
that via Kinejapan, I can get myself updated.
I now work free-lance, as a translator and an interpreter, subtitling
Japanese films in French, and helping some of the French distributors in
their releases. Japanese films are quite hot at the moment in France. In the
last two weeks, seven recent films were released as well as a Naruse and an
Avant Garde (films from the 60s and 70s) retrospectives. The seven recent
films which can currently be seen are as follows:
- A SCENE AT THE SEA (ANO NATSU, ICHIBAN SHIZUKANA UMI) by KITANO Takeshi
- HATACHI NO BINETSU by HASHIGUCHI Ryosuke
- ONIBI by MOCHIZUKI Rokuro
- GUNRO NO KEIFU by KUDO Eiichi
- MINBO NO ONNA by ITAMI Juzo
- CHIMPIRA by AOYAMA Shinji
- POSTMAN BLUES by SABU

They all seem quite popular, especially the Kitano's and Hashigushi's films..

I look forward to communicating with you all.
All the best,
Val?rie
dhiver.sugiura at wanadoo.fr